Pages


Monday, May 24, 2010

Welcome Aboard Cathy's Cruise Chat!

Cruising. It's actually like a pebble with many colors. Once the novice picks it up and examines it the first time, they discover it's so much more than what they thought. At least that was my experience on my first cruise. Many years ago, my husband surprised me with an anniversary cruise. Now, you have to understand. I'm a sun worshipper from Florida who was transplanted up to Georgia and whines about missing the beach on a regular basis. So, this man of mine who doesn't like humidity decided he would sacrifice himself and take me on a cruise. Little did he know he was going to be in for a big surprise! What my beautiful white sandy beaches of the Gulf Coast couldn't do - the amazing clear blue waters of the Caribbean accomplished! My husband became addicted to cruising as much as I did. Now, let's be honest. Every once in awhile I will hear someone say they didn't like cruising, but it is rare...extremely rare. We all usually come back from our first cruise - mad, raving addicts! Many non-cruisers think of a cruise as being "trapped on a ship with nothing to do for days". They say they are afraid they'll be bored. Nothing is further from the truth. The cruise ships of today are floating cities. Often, there is not enough time to explore all the areas on the ship or get around to participating in all the possible activities. Yet, beyond the magnificence of the ship, there were two things that impressed me the most on that first cruise. First, I will never forget the awe I felt at seeing the magnificence of that brilliant, blue, crystal-clear Caribbean water for the first time. I could not tear my eyes away from it. Growing up on beautiful beaches in Florida, I had never seen water like that before. No, the Caribbean beaches don't beat out the white sands of the Florida gulf coast, but no where have I seen such a beautiful blue liquid painting in my life as on a cruise gazing down at that ocean. Secondly, both my husband and I came back from that cruise completely and utterly relaxed - for the first time after any vacation. Perhaps, it was because we didn't have to drive a car. Perhaps, it was because we didn't have to worry about meals. Perhaps, it was because the setting was beautiful and each day was a new adventure. Whatever, the reason...we were hooked for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment